Need Help?

feature-need-helpThe Hunter Institute of Mental Health promotes mental health and works to prevent mental illness. We do not provide clinical services for people in crises.

If you, or someone you know is in immediate danger, please call 000 or visit your nearest hospital emergency department.

If you live in Australia and are in crisis, call one of the following numbers:

  • Lifeline
    13 11 14 - 24/7 crisis support and suicide prevention services. To find local services in your area use Lifeline's Service Finder.
  • Suicide Call Back Service
    1300 659 467 - 24/7 telephone crisis support for people at risk of suicide, carers and bereaved, as well as online resources and information
  • Kids Helpline
    1800 55 1800 -  24/7 telephone counselling for young people 5-25 years
  • MensLine Australia
    1300 78 99 78 - 24/7 telephone and online support, information and referral service for men
  • beyondblue
    1300 22 4636 - 24/7 telephone support service and online chat 4pm - 10pm (AEST)

Additional helplines and online services

  • Black Dog Institute
    Clinical and research expertise and community education about depression and bipolar disorder
  • Butterfly Foundation
    1800 ED HOPE (33 4673) – Telephone support service, Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 9:00pm and online information and resources on eating disorders
  • headspace
    Online support for 12-25 year olds, including mental health, drug and alcohol issues
  • Mental Health in Multicultural Australia
    Information and advice on mental health and suicide prevention for people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
  • Q LIFE line
    1800 184 527 – Telephone and online chat support service for LGB,T and I communities, 5:30pm – 10:30pm
    Online crisis and mental health informaton for young people 14-25 years
  • SANE Australia
    1800 18 SANE (7263) - Telephone mental illness advice and referrals, weekdays 9am - 5pm (AEST), online resources and information
  • Social and Emotional Wellbeing and Mental Health Services in Aboriginal Australia
    Online resources and information on cultural concepts of social and emotional wellbeing and mental health, for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and service providers

Professional support

  • Make an appointment with your local doctor
  • Contact the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) to speak with a counsellor
  • Find a GP with an interest in mental health issues through beyondblue
  • Find a psychologist by postcode therough the Australian Psychological Society
  • Visit your local headspace centre if you are 12-25 years old